Can you Eat Moldy Cheese?

Can you Eat Moldy Cheese?

Can you Eat Moldy Cheese?  

Cheese is adored worldwide since it has a variety of tastes and textures. On the other hand, mold on cheese might be concerning and confusing. Can you still eat spoiled cheese, or should you throw it away? We’ll discuss rotten cheese in detail in this blog post, including when it’s okay to consume it and when it’s best to stay away from it. 

Types of cheese mold: 

Type of Cheese  Mold Type  Edibility 
Blue Cheese  Penicillium roquefortine  Edible, integral to flavor 
Gorgonzola Cheese  Penicillium glaucum  Edible, integral to flavor 
Camembert Cheese  Penicillium camembert  Edible, integral to flavor 
Brie Cheese  Penicillium candida  Edible, integral to flavor 
Hard Cheeses  Surface Molds  Trim and consume if safe 
Soft Cheeses  Surface Molds  Discard entirely if moldy 

Is Mold on Cheese Always Bad? 

  • Cheeses Ripened by Mold: Some cheeses, including Brie, Blue, Gorgonzola, and Camembert, are manufactured with specific forms of mold intentionally added. In these circumstances, the mold plays a significant role in the flavor and composition of the cheese. So it’s safe and recommended to eat these cheeses, including the rotten sections. 
  • Surface Molds on Hard Cheeses: Hard cheeses like Cheddar, Parmesan, and Gouda can develop mold on their surfaces when they are exposed to air. Most of the time, this type of mold is risk-free and easily treated. To do this, adhere to following steps: 
  • Trim the affected area: With a clean knife, remove the moldy area and a wide space (approximately 1 inch) from the mold’s edge. 
  • Inspect the cheese: Inspect the cheese’s interior for mold growth. Throw the entire block away if there is mold within. 
  • Store properly: Put the cheese in a sealed container or a plastic bag that can be resealed once it has been wrapped in wax paper or plastic wrap. This will prevent cheese mold from returning. 

When Should You Avoid Moldy Cheese? 

  • Soft Cheeses with Mold: Soft cheeses that have mold on them should be discarded rather than hard cheeses, such as ricotta, cottage cheese, and cream cheese. The reason is that because these cheeses contain more water, it is simpler for mold to develop and produce mycotoxins, which are hazardous to consume. 
  • Soft Cheeses with Mold: It’s best to be safe and discard the cheese if the mold is any color other than green, blue, or white or if it smells unpleasant. If something smells or has unusual hues, molds can be present. 
  • High risk individuals: Pregnant women, young children, the elderly, and those with chronic illnesses should take extra precautions around rotten cheese because they have weakened immune systems. Any cheese that appears to have mold on it should be avoided. 

Understanding Mold Types on Cheese: 

Although fungi are a type of organism, not all fungi are the same. On cheese, two basic kinds of mold can develop: 

  • Penicillium molds: These molds are specifically employed in the production of cheese, particularly blue-veined cheeses like Roquefort, Stilton, and Gorgonzola. They enhance the distinctive flavor of the cheese and are safe to eat. 
  • Molds on the surface: These molds, which might appear white, green, or blue, typically develop on the exterior of hard cheeses. Although most surface microbes are not harmful, some can. Knowing what type of cheese it is and how it appears will help you decide whether to eat it or not. 

How to Prevent Mold Growing on Cheese? 

If you want cheese to last and be secure, the mold growth on it must be stopped. Here are some strategies to prevent mold from growing on your cheese: 

  • Storage Techniques: To prevent cheese from collecting too much air or moisture, which can lead to the growth of mold, store it in airtight containers or securely wrap it in wax paper or plastic wrap. 
  • Temperature Control: Make sure the temperature of your cheese is appropriate. Most cheeses stay best between 1 and 7 degrees Celsius and 35 to 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Bags or containers with airtight covers might aid in maintaining the ideal humidity level. 
  • Regular Inspection: Check your cheese sometimes for mold. If you notice mold beginning to grow, you should immediately trim or remove the afflicted area. 

Use clean knives and equipment while handling cheese to prevent adding anything that could encourage the growth of mold.  

When it comes to cheese, mold isn’t necessarily your enemy. Some cheeses have mold on them, which is both healthy and desirable, but you need be cautious when handling moldy cheese and be aware of the different types of mold.  

The secrets to enjoying cheese while lowering the dangers of mold growth include understanding the many types of mold, storing cheese properly, and inspecting it frequently.  

Dr Hafsa Ilyas

Onco-Radiologist & Medical Research Writer

Post a Comment